4/20/2008

monday's mandatory music (pt 3)

so here we go again. it has been raining on and off here in sydney for the better part of 4 days, and i kind of like waking up in the pale grey of the morning bundled up under the covers with the rain tapping on my window and the soaked birds still faintly singing their morning song. the change in season has offically started. its an australian autumn. to keep the disposition sunny and cheerful i have decided to turn you all on to another wonder album from 2005 (as true fans of this blog will note the 1st installment of this column featured an album released in 2k5). today i want to talk about 'illinois' by singer/songwriter sufjan stevens.

in order to really understand the album i think it is important to try and understand a bit more about sufjan; (note: i still do not know how to phonetically pronounce his name) according to his bio sufjan is merely 32 years old and he lived a christian bohemian life while in new york studying writing and philosophy before bursting on to the indie music scene with his soft melodies and his ability to incorporate and play multiple instruments. now i dont know about you, but i think that this humble type of attitude and life is a better example and a better help for the christian faith than say, jerry falwell. but before i get sidetracked with my stance on organized religion vs a personal faith in god and a belief in the transcending power of love let me attempt to talk to you about this amazing album.


there is no doubt about it that 'illinois' is a compete album and should be treated as a complete work in totality rather than a disassembled collection of songs. there is a common theme of restoration via love and hope running through out the album which shine through the harmonious crescendos of the more uplifting tunes like 'chicago' and 'come on feel the illionoise'. there is also a general playful nature to this record. i mean the cover art is warm and inviting, the track list evokes a smile and a chuckle, and even the transition tracks like 'one last whoo-hoo', 'a short reprise for mary todd', and 'a conjunction of drones' are fun!

there is also an authentic element of depth that runs through this album, and the tunes 'john wayne gracy jr' and 'casmir pulaski day' really demostrate this idea. it is almost like the lyrics, the music, and the total composition lead to a cd thats of a quality that you dont find everyday. i would love to be able to scrutinize the thoughts, issues, and ideas expressed through this cd - but it is almost like an experience. i could tell you what it means for me but it would be different for you, and that would be very different for the next person, and for the next person, and so on. just do yourself a favor and download, buy, or burn the cd and give it a little more than an hour of your time. you wont be disappointed.

jacksonville - a rather fun tune from the album that also act as a personal favorite



I'm not afraid of the black man running
He's got it right he's got a better life coming
I don't care what the captain said
I fold it right at the top of my head
I lost my sight and the state packs in
I follow my heart and it leads me right to Jackson

Oh Keller oh oh oh
She gave us a medal she gave us a map
Oh Canner Row, oh oh oh
If seeing is right, then look where you're at

I'm not afraid of Nichol's Park
I ride the train and I ride it after dark
I'm not afraid to get it right
I turn around and I give it one more try
I said things that I meant to say
The bandstand chairs and the Dewey Day parade
I go out to the golden age
The spirit is right and the spirit doesn't change

Oh Keller oh oh oh
She gave us mirror she gave us a map
Oh Canner Row, oh oh oh
If seeing is right then look where you're at

Andrew Jackson, all I'm asking
Show us the wheel and give us the wine
Woohoo! Woohoo!
Raise the banner, Jackson hammer
Everyone goes to the capitol line
Woohoo! woohoo!
Colored preacher, nice to meet you!
The spirit is here and the spirit is fine!
Woohoo! Woohoo!
Education, ask the nation
You gave us our sight and the hearing is fine
Woohoo! woohoo!
Andrew Jackson all I'm asking
Give us the wheel and give us the wine

No comments:

Post a Comment